Stifado brings great holiday memories to me. Many years ago I was in Cyprus with my sister. It was an absolutely amazing tour that featured both excellent dining experiences and lots of parties.
In the hotel room next to ours a married couple was staying , I talked with the man one day on the balcony and he advised me to try the dish stifado if we were going out to eat. I obviously followed his advice and ordered it the same evening, YUM! it tasted simply amazing. I can only recommend you to try this lovely stew seasoned with cinnamon and allspice, you are guaranteed not to be disappointed!
Stifado can be prepared with beef or lamb. The meat is braised in red wine, broth and delicious spices and it gives a tasteful and warm dish.
We eat stifado with a good loaf of bread, we use that to dip into the beautiful sauce, that’s how we like to eat the dish. It has so much flavor and power that you don’t need any other sides. If you’d like to serve some sides, you can make a green salad, or serve rice or potatoes with it.
Here’s our take on a traditional Stifado recipe. It’s full of flavor and with tender meat – just the way we like it! We hope you will too.
- 0.5 dl olive oil
- 1 kg beef, cut in bite sizes
- 500 g shallots
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3.5 dl red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato concentrate
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 pinch allspice
- 3 dl beef broth
- Salt and pepper
Stifado on stove top
- Start by peeling the onions and browning them well in a thick-bottomed pot with olive oil, pick them up and set them aside.
- Brown the meat over high heat in the excess oil, it can advantageously be done over several times to avoid that too much meat juice is extracted.
- When all the meat is browned, it comes back in the pot along with red wine, tomato concentrate, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, garlic and beef broth.
- Now the lid must be on and the heat must be reduced. The dish should simmer over low heat for approx. 40 min. if it boils too much in, add more broth or water.
- While the dish is simmering, you can take the onions and give them a cut in the side, then they are cooked a little faster. When approx. 40 min. has gone by, the onions are put in the pot. Now it must all simmer for another hour. It is important that the onions cook well as they form part of the sauce. Stir in the pot occasionally, adding more liquid if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the onions are cooked well and the meat is tender, the dish is ready.
Stifado in pressure cooker
- Start by peeling the shallots and browning them well in olive oil. When the onions have acquired a nice golden color, they are picked up and set aside.
- Then brown the meat in the excess oil from the onions. Do this over several times so that the meat does not boil instead of frying.
- When all the meat is well browned, it all comes into the pressure cooker.
- Then add red wine, broth, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, salt, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, garlic, tomato concentrate and the browned onions. Put the lid on and now cook the dish under pressure for 35 – 40 min.
- When the time has passed, take the pressure off the pan until the lid can be removed, season the dish with additional salt and pepper.
We love stews
If you like stews too, this dish is guaranteed to be for you as well. If you’ve already tried it and fancy other delicious recipes for stews, try spicy stew with chickpeas or Slowcooked boeuf bourguignon.
Stews are especially good for the cold months, we love to cook food that should simmer all day on the stove in autumn and in winter. It always gives a great result and you build a nice hunger to smell the dish all afternoon.
You don’t need any special equipment to make this dish other than a good thick-bottomed pot. If you have a pressure cooker, you can shorten the cooking time and get a really good result. We also occasionally make this dish in our pressure cooker as it goes fast and the meat becomes super tender.
For the pressure cooker recipe we have used our Crock Pot Express (ad-link) – You can also use a different type of pressure cooker. The smart thing about this one, is that you can brown meat directly into the machine, so you don’t need extra pots etc.
How do you like the recipe?
Have you tried this recipe? We’d love to hear what you think of it. Leave a comment, give a star review on the recipe and share your photo on Instagram with #madformadelskere – We love seeing your dishes ❤️