Yeah! Frikadeller for dinner. This is in our opinion the danish national dish no. 2. Right after “Stegt flæsk med persillesovs” of course.
Vi love frikadeller and they are so easy to make, so no excuses! My moms traditional frikadeller are just the best! Most danish people probably feel that way. All the good memories about safety and “hygge” with the family. Our mothers or grand mothers frikadeller is something most of us remembers from our childhood.
It is a good idea to make a tasting-frikadelle, to test and see if you added enough salt before you cook them all. Or maybe two just to be completely sure 😉
Here is our recipe for delicious danish frikadeller with oatmeal. Oatmeal gives the right texture to the meatballs, just as we like them. These meatballs are also glutenfree, so everybody can have a taste.
They are sooo good as everyday food, in the lunch box, for christmas lunch or as an easy meal you can store in the freezer for the days where you just dont want to cook.
Frikadeller – Danish meatballs recipe
- 1 kg minced pork, or a mix of minced pork and minced veal
- 3 onion, grated
- 2 dl oatmeal
- 3 eggs
- 2 dl milk
- 2 tsk salt, or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Butter, for cooking
- Olive oil, for cooking
- All ingrediens for the meatballs (all except butter and oil) is mixed in a bowl.
- The meatballs are shapes in the desired size and fried in a pan on middle heat in a mix of oil and butter for approx. 10-12 minuts. Turn them over when half of the time is up.
- They should be nicely brown but not burned. Serve with boiled potatoes and stewed cabbage or on a piece of rye bread.
Tips and tricks for the best Frikadeller
- Use lots of onion in the meatballs, it gives the right taste.
- Just make a double portion – they are good to have in the freezer for a quick dinner.
- Save the left overs, they are also good cold the next day for lunch.
Serve frikadeller with
- Stewed potatoes and stewed cabbage.
- In a burger with red cabbage.
- A piece of rye bread (rugbrød).
- You can save the meatballs for a couple of days in the fridge. They can also be saved for longer time in the freezer in plastic boxes or bags.
How do you like the recipe?
Did you try this recipe? We would love to hear what you think about it. Leave a comment, give a star review on the recipe and share your photo on Instagram with #madformadelskere – We love seeing your dishes ❤️
Thanks for reading
Rasmus er familiefar og madelsker med stort M. Han elsker at stå bag grillen eller pizzaovnen og servere mad, som familie og venner elsker at spise. Rasmus er uddannet teknisk designer, og hans kreativitet ses også i køkkenet, hvor han elsker at frembringe nye retter og kombinationer, der får smagsløgene til at synge. Han elsker gadgets og mad der kan grilles, laves i sous vide eller med noget nyt sejt udstyr.