Gambas pil pil is and will always be a favorite in our home. Lots of flavor, and then served with a good bread. The bread is used to soak up all the lovely sauce, it just doesn’t get much metter than this. Gambas pil pil originates from Spain, and can be served both as a main course and as a tapas dish if you can “settle” for a smaller portion.
It has taken many attempts before our recipe for gambas pil pil was just right. But now we found the secret formular. I would recommend using raw shrimp if you can get it, they give a better taste to the dish.
One comfort food to rule them all
Gambas pil pil is a really cozy plate to enjoy in good company, and preferably with a glass of cold white wine. I usually make it in a large pan on the gas burner on my grill. Then we sit and eat directly from the pan or a large clay plate. Our son Johannes at 4 and our daughter Ellen at 3 also love it, they think it is fun to eat with their fingers, with mom and dad around the table ?.
Gambas pil pil recipe
When you go shopping for this recipe, please remember to be aware of the ingredients you buy. We only buy prawns with the ASC certificate to make sure they are farmed in a good way.
Gambas pil pil recipe
- 300-400 g prawns
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1,5 dl olive olie
- 100 g butter
- 1 dl parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley for garnishing, chopped
- 1/2 red or green chili, Finely diced
- 1-2 tomatoes, Diced – OR 3-4 tbsp. canned tomatoes
- 10 cloves of garlic, chopped
- The juice from 1/2 – 1 lemon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Peber after taste
- Take out a big frying pan and heat up the oil. Add the butter and let it melt in the oil at medium heat.
- Add garlic, shallot, and chili and let it simmer on medium heat for 5 min.
- Add paprika, smoked paprika, tomatoes, salt and suger, and let stir for about a minute.
- Add prawns and lemon juice and let it simmer until the tomatoes are soft and the sauce begin to split. Put in the parsley and give it one more minute all together.
- Taste and put in ekstra salt, peber and lemon if needed. Take the pan off the heat and sprinkle chopped parsley over before serving.
- Serve hot from the pan with a nice bread.
If you want to try this dish, we recommend you to also try our recipe for homebaked baguettes. They are really good to eat with this dish, but you can also serve it with a small salad on the side if you want more greens, and serve it as a main course.
Take a bite of Spain
Rasmus er familiefar og madelsker med stort M. Han elsker at stå bag grillen eller pizzaovnen og servere mad, som familie og venner elsker at spise. Rasmus er uddannet teknisk designer, og hans kreativitet ses også i køkkenet, hvor han elsker at frembringe nye retter og kombinationer, der får smagsløgene til at synge. Han elsker gadgets og mad der kan grilles, laves i sous vide eller med noget nyt sejt udstyr.