Rye bread is a big part of our everyday food at our house. It probably is in most danish families. We eat it for lunch, in the lunch boxes and for special occasions such as christmas lunch or easter lunch.
Because we eat so much rye bread, we only want the best of the best. It has to taste amazing, be healthy and it has to stay fresh for several days. This recipe is the best in all aspects. In our opinion it is the best danish rye bread recipe, and we bake this bread every week.
Danish rye bread recipe
This recipe will make for 2 big rye breads. The pans I use for this recipe are 30cm x 10 cm. You can also make 3 smaller loafs of bread with this recipe, using smallers loaf pans.
Danish rye bread recipe (rugbrød)
- 200 g cracked rye kernels
- 470 g water
- 900 g water
- 20 g fresh yeast, (can be omitted if your sourdough is very active)
- 25 g salt
- 300 g sourdough
- 130 g sunflower seeds
- 130 g linseeds
- 20 g malt flour
- 550 g whole grain rye flour
- 130 g whole grain wheat flour
- 260 g all pourpose flour
- Sesame seeds
- Boil the cracked rye kernels and 470 g water in a pot for 10 minutes until all water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let them cool off.
- Put 930 g water in a bowl (I use the bowl from the mixer as the dough has to be kneaded for a long time). Dissolve the yeast in the water and add salt and sourdough. Mix it all together and add the rest of the ingredients as well as the kernels from the pot. Knead for 15 minuts.
- Let the dough rest in the bowl for 15 minuts.
- Butter up two loaf pans (30×10 cm) and divide the dough in the pans. Use a wet spatula to even out the top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Let the breads raise to double size on the kitchen counter. It should take about an hour. Longer if you only use sourdogh.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees celcius. Put a baking pan in the bottom of the oven.
- Put the bread tins in the hot oven. Turn down the heat to 220 degrees celsius and pour 2 dl of water in the baking pan to make steam in the oven. Bake the bread for approx. 1 hour and 15 minuts. Measure the temperatur in the middle of the loafs, they should be 96 degrees celcius in the middle in order to be done.
- Let the bread rest in the pan for 5 minuts before turning them out on a wire rack to let them cool completely before cutting them.
Tips og tricks for the best home baked danish rye bread
- Let the breads raise in the fridge over night. This evolves the taste and makes great bread. Take out the pans and leave them at room temperature while preheating the oven and bake as the recipe states.
- Rye breads can be frozen. We cut them in halv, and freezes them in plastic bags. You can also slice the bread and freeze the slices, then you can easily take a couple of slices when you need them.
- You can substitute the kernels with other types if you want to.
How do you like the recipe?
Did you try this recipe? We would love to hear what you think about it. Leave a comment, give a star review on the recipe and share your photo on Instagram with #madformadelskere – We love seeing your dishes ❤️